Friday, March 2, 2012

My Interview With Jael Phelps from Westboro Baptist Church

I've debated on whether or not I should post this or not. Then I figured, meh, why not.
In June of 2011, I discovered that members of the Westboro Baptist Church were on Facebook, spewing their hate. After talking with Jael Phelps a little, I decided to ask her to do an interview. She agreed and even published it on her page.
If you aren't familiar with Westboro Baptist Church, they are based out of Topeka, KS, led by preacher and family patriarch Fred Phelps. They are famous for picketing the funerals of fallen soldiers, saying that they were killed by God himself for fighting for what they call a "fag nation". While they claim they are preaching the word of God, this blogger personally feels they are using various platforms to push their homophobic agenda. Google them and you'll be surprised.
Please bear with me, as this interview was a little long. I do apologize. But I figured my readers might find this interesting. If I can, I might do a few more interviews with some more members of WBC, as well as Libby Phelps and Lauren Drain, two young ladies who where kicked out of the church, as well as their families.
And now, the interview.
TMC: Why do you guys cover your hair during church?
JP: Corinthians 11:4-6 "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."

TMC: Do you find it hard to read what people say about you and to you?
JP: No, it doesn't bother me.

TMC: What made you decide to become a nurse, rather than study law like many of your relatives?
JP: None of my generation are lawyers. I wanted to be a nurse because I thought it could be helpful to my family, specifically my aging grandparents; my best friend at the time Lauren Drain wanted to do it & she needed help in school; it seemed to be as good a fit as any (I didn't want to go to college, but wanted to be my grandmother's chauffeur ;) - my dad talked me into going to college) & the hours are very good for someone with my lifestyle. It's turned out to be a perfect fit for me - I can't imagine doing anything else.

TMC: Is it hard for you, in your field of work, to care for patients whose lifestyle you do not agree with?
JP: No, not hard at all. I encounter people who disagree with me all the time. My patients rarely know who I am & when they figure it out somehow, it's usually not a problem because they've already met me & I've taken care of them for a little while before they make the connection, so they know me & like me.

TMC: If the church offered it's youth the chance to leave for awhile, just to make sure they were doing the right thing by staying with the church, would you do it? (Kinda of like how the Amish kids have Rumspringa.)
JP: No. We would not be a church if we did that. It wouldn't happen & even if it could - I would not go anywhere.

TMC: Have you ever wanted to experience life the way others live?
JP: No. I'm so thankful for my lot & life situation. I honestly see it from the flip side of the coin - I think people should want to have a favoured lot like mine. It is a good life & wouldn't trade it for anything. And I trust that every day will only get better and better (that's proven to be so thus far).

TMC: If, for instance, I were to invite you to live with me and my family for a week, would you do it?
JP: No, silly goose - see #5 & #6.

TMC: Do you ever have moments of empathy for families who have lost children?
JP: Empathy means: "direct identification with, understanding of, and vicarious experience of another person's situation, feelings, and motives." (dictionary.com) I guess the answer would be somewhat, yes. I see and believe that I understand the feelings that a person could have, imagining what if it was happening to me - yes, I do that. And I wonder, after going through that experience - how could you ever look at it as a blessing? You are broken - if you are a feeling human - if your child dies.  To be bereaved of your child has to be the most personal and horrible thing to happen (besides maybe losing a spouse). From that moment on - what motivates people to demand it's a blessing, to worship the dead corpse of the child, and not take that as God reaching out and back-handing you in the severest way - I cannot understand that.  It shows an awful, dark confusion and is exactly the opposite of how they should conduct themselves. I cannot empathize with them about that evil conduct that follows such a terrible judgment from God upon their lives.

TMC: Do you want to have children one day?
JP: I want whatever the Lord gives me. I firmly believe that you should be content with the things that you have, that you should not plan for the future or imagine things that you "want" in your life. I think that's scary & will soon turn to lusting after things - this is the pattern:
James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

TMC: Do you ever have lunch dates or hang out with people who do not have the same beliefs as you do?
JP: Only if it is for the purposes of publishing this message - so that would be with reporter-types only. Otherwise, no.

TMC: Do you wish, sometimes, that you had friends outside of those within your family?
JP: I do have friends outside of those I'm related to by blood. I can name them. The only people who are truly my family doesn't have anything to do with blood relation: Matthew 12:48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!  50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
The other reason I wouldn't is because I cannot justify spending time with people who don't love & serve the Lord. I have so little time in this life anyway - why would I squander it away when I have the honor & privilege of ministering to the saints of God?? James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

15 comments:

  1. Very interesting. If I didn't know that this person was a hypocritical homophobe I may have enjoyed their answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with WBC... they aren't hypocrites... they believe what they say and do what they say the believe...

      Further, they don't fear homosexuals... they HATE them... that's far worse

      Delete
    2. They are hypocritical, in the sense that they profess to be the only "chosen ones" (the elect) of God, speaking God's word and living the lifestyle He calls upon them to live, when in fact neither their lifestyle nor their hateful words and actions are Godly.

      Delete
    3. feralucce, THEY don't hate gays -GOD hates them. They're just doing "God's" work.
      LOL.
      Truth be told, they are just following what that bastardized book, the Bible, professes to be true.
      May "God" forgive them all. Isn't that what we're taught?
      Those poor kids don't stand a chance.

      Delete
  2. First of all, I am not sure of the exact scripture but I am fairly certain that Jesus Christ said to "love thy neighbor" I haven't seen any scripture that say call them names and assume that everyone is worshiping the dead simply because they want to honor them. Jael Phelps is contradicting herself from one question to the next. She admits that it would be bad for her if someone does the things that they do to other people remember "do unto others" I guess at westboro baptist church they only use scripture when it is advantageous to them, not when it protects other people.

    These horrid people do not know the person, or the family when they go to funerals. Most servicemembers are either against or neutral when it comes to homosexuality, being that is the church's whole argument. So they are saying the person died because they supported homosexuality even if they despised it. If they didn't know the person than how would they know if they supported it or not.
    To me this just proves that college education alone does not mean you are smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most servicemembers are against homosexuality? Are you kidding me? You must not know many, if any, servicemembers. My husband is in the Army, has been for 6 years, and I haven't met a single Soldier (all male, btw) that were against homosexuality. A truly ignorant statement and a huge assumption!

      Delete
    2. They are not saying that the person who died is a homosexual or that they supported it. In their viewpoint, they are saying this person died because of/for a country that accepts sin and homosexuality. They're basically saying 'look, this is what God did to punish this country, and unless this country stops promoting/endorsing sin, more soldiers like this are going to die'.

      Don't get me wrong, they're wackjobs, but that's what they are saying.

      Delete
  3. It's sad I've seen so many videos of Jael and she actually would make a really pleasant and fun person to talk to if it weren't for her crazy beliefs that were shoved down her throat by her family... I just wish someone would reach out to her and tell her that it's ok to be selfish and live life according to how you want it and make yourself happy :C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Critics of the WBC leave out an important detail: All of that stuff actually is in the Bible. Therefore, if you have a problem with "WBC hate speech," you technically have a problem with the Bible, which has nothing to do with the WBC. I wish the critics would admit that - otherwise it looks sorrowful ignorant, folks. Then again, people usually turn off their brains when they jump on the "hate the latest person or thing society tells me to hate" bandwagon. Kinda pathetic if you ask me. Anyways, good interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really....yes, it's in the bible, however they are interpreting it in a way that allows them to use it hatefully.

      Delete
  5. "Critics of the WBC leave out an important detail: All of that stuff actually is in the Bible."

    They are picking and choosing which parts of the Bible they follow, and very much twisting Scripture around to serve their own purposes. NO other church in the world will claim allegiance or brotherhood with WBC, largely because what they do is actually not supported by Scripture. If you really believe that what the WBC is doing and saying is justified by Biblical teachings, I feel sorry for you. I would suggest you find a competent Sunday school teacher and go back and reread the Bible for yourself, with their guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The WBC blatantly LIES. Take for instance what they said on John 3:16. This blogger summed it up nicely.

    http://crossandculture.co.nr/2012/11/05/the-many-lies-of-the-westboro-baptist-church-the-john-316-lie-lie/

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your good behavior is just a trick to avoid eternal damnation, then your faith is a fake. Your real religion is fear of the others and your love(?) for God is just in case...

    It is much easier to destroy than to build, It is much easier to hate than to love. It is hard not to judge, but we all have to try. I hope you find the love you need to escape this hate-cult, Jael, one day... My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete

  8. www.vaticancatholic.com I hereby declare- you to be - - an unlawful obstructionist. I order all those assembled to immediately disperse. I repeat- to immediately disperse. I order all your activity to immediately cease. I repeat-to immediately cease. It is not in accord with the ordinances of Canon Law. Due to your catalytic tendency of disseminating objectives adverse to Christendom - you are therefore ordered to discontinue your illegal profession. Failure to do so will result in proactive, responsive, and co-active measures. I judge, adjudge, adjudicate, deem, determine and declare your thoughts, words, actions, public or secret, and omissions, biological and spiritual property, subject to the Jurisdiction of the Unfathomable, Infinite, and Ineffable Excellence of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. Further, your humanist anachronism, obscurantism, absurdum, intent, mission, and schemes, are henceforth proscribed and condemned. You may be arrested and or subject to other police action. It has so been declared: It is declared that all non-Catholic government exists in a state of inauthenticity. It is thenceforth declared that all modern constitutional states lack canonical legitimacy. It has therefore been thenceforth declared that their existence is an offense to the Divine Majesty and a crime against humanity. The aforesaid Freemasonic corporations are hereby declared anachronical to true human progress. It is decided in order for modern constitutional states to gain authenticity they must recognize the Supreme Jurisdiction of the Papacy and all Papal Dogmas. As a failure to do so will only inflame the Catholic against such blasphemous tyrannical backwards regimes. Lord God is due to make Visitation to such blighted and noxious governments and tyrannies. He will Visit the iniquities upon the infidels and the Anti-Church bigots. Terror will overtake the faces of the unwashed masses. These exquisite bigots against the Papacy will know that the Lord God Himself has done it. The infidel are richly fattened for such Visitation. It is hereby determined. ‘Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo, et in terra’. Thy will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven. Libertarianism (and the constitution) are simply tyrannical failures and instruments that lead to false flag attacks and government-run pedophilia through their Manual (and Visual) Body-Cavity Searches of Juvenile Hall youth. A Catholic Monarchy simply is the answer to today's varied and many problems. There is Absolutely No Salvation Outside the Catholic Church see www.vaticancatholic.com

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Tell me here! But know that comments ARE moderated and posted at my discretion.